Freelance writing includes many genres of writing such as travel writing. This is one travel job that is fun, exciting, educational, romantic, and not uncommon. Many travel writers can be found around the world. Some write for newspapers and magazines. Others capture their travels with a blog or journal. Some travel writers blog about travel for organizations. There’s no limit to what a travel writer can do. The world is the pearl in their oyster!
Most people think of freelance writing as writing ad copy for advertising agencies or web copy for organizations. Freelance writing is a broad career with many “niches” woven into it; travel writing is one of those niches. Not only do you get to travel, but you can get paid for it! That’s just one of the perks of being part of the “travel writers club.”
Starting Your Career in Travel Writing
- Travel. This is obvious, but must be mentioned. Travel locally first then see the world. There is always a festival or event happening somewhere in your backyard. Check it out and then write about it.
- Create a blog. Keep travel of your travels with a blog. Many people have blogs today. Sign up for a free blog with WordPress.com or Blogger.com.
- Write each day. If your writing skills are not that strong, writing each day will help you to strengthen them. If you intend to make money from your writing, you’ll have a better chance if your writing skills are stronger.
- Write travel articles about your travels. Many organizations (online) will ask for content for a new website. If you wrote a couple of travel articles, consider submitting a few of your travel articles to “start-up” websites. Caution: do not do this all of the time. A few times is fine, but do not make a habit of it. You’ll gain a reputation for writing for free, which is something you do not want.
- Keep a travel journal. Keep a journal when you travel. Someday you may want to turn your journal into a best-selling travel memoir. Take excellent notes when you travel because if you must research something it will be easier to do with the information in front of you.
- Peruse the internet for travel writing jobs. Many career boards can be found in cyberspace. Check out Oodle.com and Travel-Writers-Exchange.com for the latest in travel jobs.
- Read travel websites such as Brave New Traveler. Check out what other travel writers are writing. It will give you ideas on what people are interested in reading. It’s also a great way to find your writing style. All writers do not have the same writing style. Find your voice and begin writing today.
- Brush up on your writing skills. Travel writing may be fun, but it’s still writing. Travel writers do not receive a free pass to ignore the rules of writing. Sloppy writing will get you nowhere. Proofread your work and have someone else proofread if you must. You do not have to be the John Steinbeck of travel writing, but at least follow the basic rules of writing.
Travel writing is one of those fun travel jobs. There are many travel careers you could consider, but travel writing is number one! It’s a great way to see the world and make some extra cash along the way. Your travel writing career may take-off so fast, you’ll be leaving your day job in no time!
If you enjoy variety, travel writing is a travel career that is abundant in variety! You can write on any travel topic from European travel to the best places for hiking. The bonus — there are many ways for you to capitalize on travel writing, but that’s another blog. For now — travel, write, and watch your new career unfold before your eyes!