Who Else Wants to Break Into Travel Writing?
Are you an aspiring travel writer? Would you like to write for newspaper travel sections, glossy magazines with gorgeous photos, or other travel publications? If you answered “YES,” then you “stumbled upon” the right website!
Since you are new to travel writing, you may be unsure of what to write. Contact your local tourism office or visit them online to view specific media pages which can give you story ideas. FYI: most tourist offices have FREE tips and brochures.
Tips and Tricks
- Polish your writing skills. Review grammar, punctuation, spelling, and the mechanics of writing. Have a firm grasp of the “basics” of writing to build a strong writing foundation.
- Write, write, write! Practice makes perfect!
- Enroll in travel writing workshops. Visit our Top 10 Travel Workshops to find a workshop near you.
- Editors love travel writers who turn in tightly written copy. No matter how well you write (or think you write), you will sell more travel articles if you write short.
- Study the markets you would like to write for and send out query letters. Remember to read the guidelines for submission because they will vary from publication to publication.
- Do not start your article with the trip to the airport? Avoid describing every museum, night spot, or cab ride. Travel writing is more than landscapes and “touristy” spots. It’s about people and places!
- Write what you know. Begin your travel writing career in your backyard. Become an authority on your part of the word! Where you live is interesting to someone, somewhere.
- Remember it’s not about a destination! Think about an angle for your travel article. For example, do you prefer to take a cruise? That could be your angle. Compare and contrast different cruise lines.
Travel Writing Opportunities
- MySpace. Meet people and find a travel writing job at the same time!
- Freelance Writing. Find freelance travel writing jobs. Remember to read the guidelines for submission!
Resourceful Travel Writing Blogs
- Adventure Travel Writer. A great article filled with travel writing tips for “breaking into travel writing.”
- Blissful Travel. Visit this very informative blog by Erica Johansson who is “an award-winning freelance writer and photographer from Sweden.” Enjoy the beautiful photography!