Top 10 Travel Writing Workshops
Workshops are a great way to network and hone your travel writing skills. The best part is rubbing elbows with some of the industries best writers, editors, and publishers. Grab your notepad, laptop, pen, and schedule a workshop today!
Top 10 List
Editor’s Note: Please note that we recently removed several workshops that are no longer offered – we’ll be updating this page soon to replace those with new travel writing workshops to bring our list back up to 10.
- Travel Writing On Location offers travel writing workshops and tours in top destinations around the globe. Each travel writing workshop is designed to provide two things — the skills you need as a travel writer and an extraordinary travel experience to write about. Travel Writing On Location provides not only classroom learning, but on-the-job experience. With our professional guides, you’ll tour the destination— visiting local attractions, interviewing experts, and experiencing the culture— while learning the travel writing skills you need. Taught by seasoned travel journalists, Travel Writing On Location workshops provide instruction on writing technique, online publishing, photography, social media and the travel writing business.
- Gotham Writers’ Workshop. One-day workshops are fun, fast-paced immersions in all types of writing. A great mixture of brief lectures that hit the high-points and writing exercises that let you immediately try your hand at what you’ve just learned. Come in on the weekend with a notepad, pen, and desire to learn. By Monday, you’ll be a more knowledgeable and skilled writer.
- Book Passage. The Book Passage Travel Writers & Photographers Conference is held annually in Corte Madera, California, and offers a number of great workshops in various disciplines. The conference has an extraordinary reputation among publishers, editors, and writers, and draws its faculty from among the best in each discipline. Workshops, panels, and evening activities are available.
- The Travel Writers Life. With ongoing workshops held in various locations, you can learn how to enhance your travel writing and sell photos. They also offer a FREE e-letter. Sign up for it now!
- The Writers Workshop. Workshops are either online, in Seattle, and classes around the world. Check the website for the dates.
- Media Bistro. Offers a number of online travel writing classes and workshops. Check their website for dates and locations.
- Writers.com. Longtime instructor Amanda Castleman teaches her classic Travel Writing: From Press Trips to Punctured Tires roughly four times each year. Students may then progress to Advanced Travel Writing with Edward Readicker-Henderson or Amanda’s Ongoing Travel Writing Workshop (with occasional assistance from Edward when she’s on the road). Amanda has been honored by the Society of American Travel Writers.