There’s no doubt in my mind that any travel writer or blogger can benefit from attending a workshop or conference.
Whether you’re a seasoned professional writer with many print publications on your resume, or a brand new travel blogger, or just thinking of getting into this industry, you’ll learn something — from some of the best in our business — maybe a lot, maybe a little, maybe just one valuable nugget you can put to use.
Equally as important, you’ll also have the chance to network with other travel writers, travel bloggers, travel photographers, editors, and in some cases publishers and literary agents as well.
You’ll find inspiration, support, and encouragement. You’ll make new friends and contacts. You’ll come away enthused, energized, and maybe with some great writing ideas and new directions.
While there are many great Writers Workshops and Conferences to choose from, these listed below are specific to Travel Writing:
- May 11 – 14, 2010: NATJA 8th Annual Conference – Reno, NV
- June 19 – 20, 2010: Bob Fisher’s 21st Annual Travel Writing Workshop – Hudson, NY
- June 24 – 27, 2010: Travel Classics Writers Conference – Quebec City, Canada (Note: this workshop is full but has a waiting list)
- June 26 – 27, 2010: 2nd Annual Travel Blog Exchange Conference (TBEX) – Greenwich Village, NY (this event is sold out but has a waiting list)
- June 26, 2010 (1 day only): Travel & Words 2010 – Tacoma, WA
- Aug 1 – 8, 2010: ACE Camps Travel Writing Workshop with Rolf Potts – Reykjavik, Iceland
- Aug 12 – 15, 2010: 19th Annual Book Passage Travel, Food, & Photographers Conference – Corte Madera, CA
- Oct 13 – 20, 2010: ACE Camps Write, Shoot + Surf Workshop with Amanda Jones: Todos Santos, Baja, Mexico
Worthy of a special mention is Rolf Pott’s Creative Writing Workshop in Paris July 1 – 28, 2010. This month-long writing course also covers Literary Fiction by alternating days with Rolf’s classes, and while it bills itself as a course in creative non-fiction, it has an emphasis on travel writing and place-based narrative.
I strongly encourage you to consider attending one of these workshops or conferences – I plan to attend several!
What workshops / conferences have you attended? Share your opinion!