Interview: Lisa Lambden, New York Video School

New York Video School
13 January 2010 Post Author:
Print This Post Print This Post Email This Post Email This Post

Many of you will remember Lisa Lambden from my prior interview with her – she’s the founder and director of the Travel Channel Academy.

Lisa has launched an exciting new project – one that every travel writer should pay close attention to – called the “New York Video School“, and she graciously took time out of her busy day yesterday to let me get the scoop on what it is, and what it means to you.

Why do I think you should pay attention? Because video content is rapidly becoming a requirement for submission to many online travel publications, especially those that are larger media outlets. In short, if you’re not producing your own quality travel video content, you’re going to get left eating the dust of those travel writers that are.

In the interview, Lisa explains that the New York Video School was launched to take the successful Travel Channel Academy program (face-to-face video production instruction in a classroom setting), bring it to an online environment, and make it accessible to anyone who is looking for a start-to-finish video training course.

A great feature is that NYVS is community-based and highly interactive, offering groups you can join, forums to participate in, and blogs to follow, giving you the opportunity to get (and give) feedback and network with other students and instructors.

In addition to the community aspect, I love the fact that it’s super-affordable, you can take only the courses you’re interested in, and you can learn at your own pace, on your own time.

Lisa has a great way of explaining it all, so be sure to listen!

Enjoy!

~Trisha

Audio Podcast: Click to Listen

[display_podcast]

Lisa Lambden training at the Travel Channel Academy

Lisa Lambden training at the
Travel Channel Academy

Meet Lisa Lambden:

Lisa Lambden is a Managing Director of Rosenblum Associates, Inc., and as such produces Video Journalism-driven programming and consults on VJ-driven newsroom projects worldwide. Her consulting work has included the complete conversion of Dutch Public Television to the VJ model, as well as working with American broadcasters such as KGTV/San Diego to convert their newsrooms. She is overseeing the construction of a national network of VJ-driven news ‘nodes’ for Verizon’s FiOS networks, which will ultimately also encompass a significant ‘Citizen Journalist’ component.

In partnership with The Travel Channel, she founded and runs Travel Channel Academy (www.travelchannelacademy.com), a national video training partnership with programs in Santa Barbara, New York, and Washington DC.

She is a founding partner in New York Video School, an online training center slated for launch in February 2009.

Prior to joining Rosenblum Associates, Lisa spent 17 years with The BBC. During that time she was an on-air journalist and reporter. She later ran newsrooms, produced hundreds of hours of programming, wrote and reported for BBC News. In 2002 she built the first successful VJ-run station for the BBC and later ran the BBC’s entire national VJ project, training more than 750 BBC journalists and transitioning more than a dozen stations across the UK, as well as BBC Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. She also had a critical advisory role in the creation of BBC Local News, a 6-station pilot project conducted by The BBC in which 6 hyper local VJ driven TV/broadband stations were built in and around Birmingham, UK. Prior to joining the BBC, Lisa was a print journalist for a series of newspapers in the UK.

As a television producer Lisa was Executive Producer of the "5 Takes" series for The Travel Channel, EP for the digital and interactive cable series Drew Carey’s Sporting Adventures; as well as 40 Degrees North, Show Us Your World, Invisible Journey and many others.

She also writes and produces What’s Your Trip, a user generated content series for The Travel Channel.

She has lectured extensively worldwide on the video and digital revolution and is a major player in the growing global digital online community.

11 Responses to “Interview: Lisa Lambden, New York Video School”

1. Rebecca
    Twitter:
    says:

Sounds good. It could probably help aspiring screenwriters (me) who want to produce short films in addition to travel videos.

2. Joann says:

This is something I definitely need….I know that I need to start doing travel video, but I’ve been somewhat intimidated by most of the online sites for learning video techniques, and they’re also fairly expensive. This is the first one I’ve seen that is not only affordable, but really looks like it’s geared for a beginner like me. What a great find!

3. I agree that video is the future.

I hate being on video.

Hence why I loved this interview :-)

4. Dave and Deb
    Twitter:
    says:

I am planning on signing up when we return home for a couple of months from our travels.We incorporate video into our site, but I have found it difficult to edit quickly on the road and have fallen behind. I love the price and am very interested in learning new techniques.
    .-= Dave and Deb´s last blog post: Ella Rock, Sri Lanka’s Highlands =-.

5. Chino says:

Taking up this course is a plus for people planning to incorporate them to their site. It’s nice to hear a video school that is affordable and at the same time you have the freedom to choose lessons that you need. Great stuff!

6. Laura says:

This is cool and really educational. Thanks for sharing.

7. Lea says:

Well, Is there any way for me to download it? I would love to play it on the tutorials that I am doing. I am sure my students would learn a lot from this.

8. Patrick says:

I have a question: Is this school just for those who want to make short films and videos or can the courses here be applied to feature-length filmmaking?

• Hi Patrick……the NYVS online “learn at your leisure” course is designed to be a lower-cost alternative to their Travel Channel Academy for those who can’t afford the tuition, or can’t travel to their location.

Given that it’s supposed to provide the same training, it does primarily focus on teaching the skills required for the making of short films, but my guess (having not taken the course myself) is that their are probably some skills that could be applied to making longer, or feature-length films. It seems to me that, for the cost, it might be a good way to get started and get a feel for film-making in general, and then could/should be supplemented with other courses, ideally at a film-making school.

If you decide to try the NYVS I’d love to hear back from you with your opinions after you’ve spent some time with it.

Trackbacks & Tweetbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Anthony,Travel Tart!, Dave&Deb Travel Duo, Trisha, Rosenblumtv, Chris Carriero and others. Chris Carriero said: RT @theplanetd: RT @travelwriting Interview: Lisa Lambden, New York Video School http://ow.ly/16kr7T [...]

2. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by theplanetd: RT @travelwriting Interview: Lisa Lambden, New York Video School http://ow.ly/16kr7T

Some links on this page do earn us a small amount of money if you click on them and make a purchase. Not much, maybe enough for a cup of coffee or a beer, but we would never recommend any item if we didn't believe in it's value to you. Plus, every little bit helps keep this site going and helps us continue to provide you with great information.  We appreciate your support!

Topics: