Can a Travel Writer make money online?
I believe that the answer is a resounding yes….and I’m going to prove it to you.
Allow me to introduce you to Suzy (not her real name), my first Case Study.
Suzy is a well-repected travel writer who is regularly published in several online and offline travel publications. I met her on a media trip and we spent time chatting about the many challenges facing travel writers who are trying to adapt to fewer paying opportunities and increased competition. She shared with me her frustration and fears as she, and other travel writers, watch as the world of travel writing changes in ways they never anticipated just a few short years ago.
- Little time to spend with her husband and family. She keeps a hectic travel writing schedule;
- Decreasing pay for travel articles – and fewer paying opportunities for publication;
- She writes about destinations of which she has little or no interest – because that’s what pays;
- She struggles to build an online audience and retain readers;
I told Suzy that it IS possible to achieve these things, if she would just follow some very simple steps, and I’ve written those into a “flow chart”. Suzy agreed to be a case study, and to follow the steps I outlined for her. We’ve been meeting by telephone as our schedules permit, and she’s now accomplished a few of the first steps.
- To earn enough that she can slow down and enjoy more time with her family;
- To write on a topic about which she is passionate;
- To feel that she is writing for people who are sincerely interested in what she has to say;
- To learn how to build readership by writing effectively for both people and search engines.
Each week I’ll update you on Suzy’s progress, sharing with you her experience.
When this study ends I’ll pull back the curtain of anonymity and interview her so that she can share with you her results.
Follow Suzy’s progress as she travels the road to success!