Travel Writers Organizations
Travel writers, it’s a good idea to join an organization. Connect with other travel writers, editors, and publishers today! Networking is a great tool that can develop or further your travel writing career. Joining an organization will give you an opportunity to attend conferences and workshops held each year. Please note that most organizations charge a membership fee!
Top Travel Writers Organizations
- International Food, Wine & Travel Writers Association. Is a global network of people involved in the hospitality and lifestyle fields and the people who promote them by informing others about them. A non-profit organization, run by and for the benefit of our members, and have been since we were founded in Paris in 1954.
- American Society of Journalists and Authors. Helps professional freelance writers advance their writing careers.
- North American Travel Journalists. Is the “premier professional association of writers, photographers, editors, and tourism professionals dedicated to redefining professional development for the travel industry.”
- Society of American Travel Writers.. Now in its 50th year, SATW promotes responsible journalism, supports and develops members, and encourages conservation and preservation of travel resources worldwide. Must have a substantial portfolio in order to join SATW.
- Travel Media Association of Canada. “A handful of visionary, Toronto-based travel journalists founded the Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC) in 1994. They saw the need to bring the country’s travel media and tourism industry closer together — in effect, the founders struck a professional relationship between the two groups by creating TMAC.”
- British Guild of Travel Writers. “Founded in 1960, the British Guild of Travel Writers is an association of over 270 writers, editors, photographers, producers, radio and television presenters involved in the world of travel.”
- Outdoor Writers’ Guild (UK). Founded in 1980 by a group of like-minded writers with a direct interest in equipment and clothing for the outdoors. Members includes writers, authors, photographers, designers, journalists, artists, illustrators, editors, broadcasters, copy-writers, content-providers, lecturers, public speakers, and consultants.
- Australian Society of Travel Writers. Celebrated its 30th year in 2006! A non-profit organization, “dedicated to reporting on the travel industry and serving the interests of the traveling public, promoting international understanding and good will, and promoting unbiased reporting of information on travel topics.”
Other Writers / Travel Writers Organizations
- National Association of Woman Writers. Founded in 2001, they have over 3000 members worldwide. NAWW connects and educates members through books, CDs, tele-events, physical chapter events and much more. A weekly newsletter goes out to over 3,000 women writers, editors, and publishers!
- Midwest Travel Writers Association. Is an organization of travel professionals, including writers, photographers, and travel publicists. “Since we all live in one of the 13 Midwestern states (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin), we’re experts in the wide variety of travel opportunities these states offer.”