Travel Writers Conferences
Travel writers, conferences are great way to network and learn valuable travel writing tips from the pros. Meet editors, publishers, writers, and other contacts who can help you soar into a new career or further your travel writing prospects. Most conferences offer workshops, panels, and evening activities. Enjoy many hours of informal interaction between faculty and students that often last late into the evening.
- Travel & Words (http://travelwritersconference.com/). Since 2008, Travel & Words has connected travel and lifestyle writers with the Pacific Northwest travel industry. At the annual conference, writers of all levels meet magazine editors who regularly publish on travel in the Northwest, connect with travel and tourism professionals to generate story leads, and participate in a variety of educational workshops. The conference is held in a different Northwest destination each year. In 2016, Travel & Words will be held in Walla Walla, Washington and welcomes Sunset magazine travel editor Peter Fish as keynote speaker.
- Book Passage Travel Writers & Photographers Conference. Book Passage has been organizing and hosting this multi-track, information packed conference since 1981. Join publishers, editors, authors, literary agents, photographers, and writers in Corte Madera, CA. The faculty is comprised of many well-known and award-winning leaders of the travel writing industry. Alumni have published books, articles, and photos — many as the direct result of lessons learned and contacts made at the conference. Attendance is open to anyone who wishes to register. (Editors Note: This conference is our favorite for the exceptionally high level of support, encouragement, education, and inspiration you’ll find.)
- North American Travel Journalists Association. Another long-running travel writers conference (since 1982), the NATJA conference is a great opportunity to meet colleagues face to face, attend professional business development seminars, acquire great story leads, and discover inspiration. Attendance is open to anyone who wishes to register, but NATJA members receive a discount on conference fees
- International Society for Travel Writing. “International Society for Travel Writing’s conferences feature networking events as well as scholarly and educational presentations relating to the history, culture, and techniques of travel writing.” FYI: you must be a member of ISTW to attend the conference!
- Travel Classics. Travel Classics conference offers low writer/editor ratio and editor presentations and panel discussions. Schedule a one-on-one meeting with four or more editors.
- TBEX – Billing itself as “the world’s largest gathering of travel bloggers, writers, new media content creators, and social media savvy travel industry professionals” and – with the demise of the formerly fabulous BlogWorldExpo – it is. Generally held twice (or more) each year, with one gathering typically in North America and one in Europe or elsewhere, it’s a terrific conference for learning the art of digital journalism and making both friends and industry contacts.