Top 10 Writing Courses
Most people learn by doing. However, sometimes it’s necessary to take a class or two to “polish” your skills. Whether you are a novice or seasoned travel writer, you can always use a refresher course. Check out our list of top 10 writing courses!
Top 10 Writing Courses
Editor’s Note: Please note that we recently removed a couple of online courses that are no longer offered – we’ll be updating this page soon to replace those with new travel writing courses to bring our list back up to 10.
- MatadorU Travel Writing Course – Our Number One pick! This 12 week online travel writing course is a self-study method featuring a lesson, a writing assignment, and suggested reading for each of 12 weekly chapters. In addition there are weekly writing labs that give students who participate in the labs feedback from the instructors/editors from Matador, a Forum for interaction between students and instructors, and a Market Leads list for students to locate publication opportunities.
- American Writers and Artists, Inc. Offers course work from travel writing to desktop marketing, to help improve your skills as a writer. If you are a novice travel writer AWAI can help you sharpen your skills and move you forward to a great career!
- Gotham Writers’ Workshop. Teaches more than 6,000 students a year! Gotham is the leading creative writing school in NY and the USA. Not a resident of NY, no problem. Visit Gotham’s online (voted Best of the Web by Forbes Magazine) and sign up for a course in travel writing. Classes begin the week of May 19. You better hurry because class size is limited to 18 students!
- Writers.com. They have been offering online classes since 1995. Courses range from basic skills to advanced-level work. Writers.com can help you improve your skills and explore new directions!
- The Writers Workshop. Provides travel, nature, fiction, and novel writing classes. Please note that the classes are online with a few exceptions.
- Writer’s Village University. Believes education is a life-long pursuit for beginning and experienced writers. Writer’s Village University is a full-time support service that offers courses, seminars, and special programs.
- Penn Foster Career School. Although this online course does not cover travel writing, it offers education in basic freelance writing skills that are valuable for any genre of professional writing.
- Washington State University. Do you love to write? Are you entering a writing field or simply want to improve your skills? WSU’s online professional writing certificate will give you a strong foundation in written communication skills. Please note that this course has several prerequisites.