Top 10 Travel Writing Jobs
Would you like to get paid to travel the globe? How about a stay in a luxury hotel? Do you prefer to backpack? Is “cruising” more your style? Does the “unknown” captivate you? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions then travel writing is for you!
Checkout Craigslist for job postings for any of the following jobs. Also, you could put an ad on Craigslist offering your travel writing services. To put yourself in different markets, change your ad because you cannot post the same ad twice.
Top 10 List
- Freelance Travel Writer. Write about nightlife, art and culture, shopping, eco-tourism, and so much more. Bring your travel experiences to life and share them with readers around the world!
- Freelance Editor. Do you have a great eye for detail? Are you an experienced researcher? Are your organization skills impeccable? Put your strong editing and proofreading skills to work. Gather your materials (dictionary, laptop, PC, and style manuals) and start editing your way to a new career!
- Freelance Magazine Writer. Many freelance magazine writers write for various magazines, not just one. “The key to writing for magazines and selling what you write is knowing your market.”
- Travel Author. Are you writing a memoir about your travel adventures? Start marketing your book to traditional or small publishing companies, or self-publish through a reputable company like Outskirts Press, which lets you keep 100% of your royalties.
- Guidebook Author. Do you have expert knowledge about a city, country, or region? Learn how to write your own guidebook The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book, then get it published and start selling it!
The alternative is to update an existing guidebook. Lonely Planet Guidebooks is a great place to start.
- Self-Published Travel Author. A smart choice that is cost-effective, fast, pays better than a standard royalty contract, and you maintain control over the process.
- Newspaper Travel Writer. Writing for a newspaper is an exciting experience! Whether it is weekly or daily, you will have an opportunity to meet new people (network), learn about new places, and see your written work published! Is that local fame “knocking” on your door?
- Magazine Travel Journalist. Travel to cover a story, research, compose, and type your article! Is National Geographic hiring? Find out.
- Freelance Travel Journalist. What’s your specialty? Whether it’s art and culture, wildlife, or adventure…travel, research, and write your article!
- Broadcast Media Travel Journalist. Would you like a job like Samantha Brown’s? Yes, who wouldn’t! Grab your passport to finding a job in the field of broadcast media at Creative Media Careers, an online job & networking site.