I love music and travel. I would like to combine these two niche areas together. Any advice.
Love music and travel -- How do I combine these?(9 posts) (5 voices)
I enjoy music as well. It may not be easy at first to get paid, but if you enjoy what you do, the money will follow.
1. Start a blog about travel + music. Make sure you have a great landing page.
2. Hit the road and create your own travel itinerary.
3. Give people valuable resources on your blog.
4. Drive traffic to your site with SEM concepts such as SEO.
5. Network. Meet as many people you can. Join writing and music groups. Checkout Meetup.com and groups in your area.
6. Give it about a year -- you'll be an expert in this area and people will turn to you for advice about travel + music.
7. Become fans of your favorite bands on MySpace, Facebook, and other sites. Contact their management and tell them about your blog. You never know what could happen.
8. Build a Twitter page and make sure to "tweet" while you travel.
9. Good luck!
Excellent advice Rebecca; may I also suggest perhaps a guidebook on world music? There's a lot of music, both in our home country and elsewhere, that is undiscovered, and travelling is a good way of encountering undiscovered music, whether it's intentional or not.
Tom, a guidebook is a great idea! Another idea is to take a ton of photos and publish a music/travel book capturing the great music from different countries. I would buy the book
You could start locally. Maybe contact local magazines and or newspapers. Attend a concert or big "music" festival and write about it.
Great idea, Duchess, festivals are great in many ways; you get to write about them, you get to listen to great music, you get to meet new people (potential new contacts?), and you get to experience that particular brand of music sub-culture.
Also, it may help to attend a festival that isn't as well-known as the 'big ones'; less people will be reporting on it and you may discover a hidden gem. Take care!
Thanks for these ideas...This really helps me out. Time to start brainstorming!
These are great ideas...don't forget about reading music magazines like Rolling Stone and many others...You could probably get some good ideas from music magazines...
Read 10 Things to Know Before You See Your Next Concert on Matador. It could help you to "jump start" ideas about combining travel writing and music.Posted 4 years ago #
You must log in to post.