Interview: Maralyn D. Hill, President of IFWTWA

5 May 2009 Post Author:
Print This Post Print This Post Email This Post Email This Post

For those that don’t already know, IFWTWA stands for the International Food, Wine, and Travel Writers Association. It is a global network of people involved in the hospitality and lifestyle industries and the writers, bloggers, and journalists who promote them by informing others about them.

This past week I had the great pleasure of interviewing Maralyn Hill, president of the Association, who graciously agreed to squeeze me into her busy travel and writing schedule, and to answer many of the questions our members have been asking.

The interview runs around 18 minutes, and is full of interesting information about the IFWTWA and why you should join – if you’re not already a member, you should definitely give it a listen!

Enjoy!
~Trisha

Audio Podcast: Click to Listen

[display_podcast]

Download the PDF Transcript – 100KB PDF file

Maralyn D. Hill, President of IFWTWA

Maralyn D. Hill, President of IFWTWA

Meet Maralyn Hill:

Maralyn is currently serving as President of the International Food, Wine & Travel Writers Association, and as Co-Chairman of the Conference and Press Trips Committee for the IFWTWA.

She is also CEO of NoraLyn Ltd. and was Host / Producer of over 90 Time Warner Cable food shows; Editor and Columnist, Where & What in the World; Columnist, Big Blend Magazine; Co-author "Our Love Affairs with Food & Travel;" contributor, Meetings Mexico & Latin America; Contributor, Global Writes; Contributor, SOGONOW.com; Co-author, "Cooking Secrets the Why and How;" Co-author, "Success, Your Path to a Successful Book," author of international and domestic incentive programs and support material.

This freelance food, wine, travel journalist/broadcaster says she is part of the "Hill Team". She has co-authored her books with long time friend Brenda Hill, and together and individually they are food judges and write articles. They also co-authored "Cooking Secrets" with French Master Chef Herve Laurent and conduct workshops. Maralyn also writes with her husband Norman Hill.

Maralyn prides herself on staying up with current trends and discovering more all the time, as she and Brenda did at Bocuse d'Or with French Master Chef Herve Laurent in January 2009. She says she was "born to travel and tell the tale".

Maralyn's Websites:
www.NoraLyn.com
www.BooksByHills.com
www.noralyn.com/blogger/blog1
www.noralyn.com/blogger/success

Learn more about the IFWTWA at their website:
International Food, Wine, and Travel Writers Association

Follow Maralyn on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MaralynHill
Follow IFWTWA on Twitter: http://twitter.com/IFWTWA

15 Responses to “Interview: Maralyn D. Hill, President of IFWTWA”

1. Travlin'TheWorld says:

Thanks for the interview. I do agree that writing takes discipline. Sometimes life takes over, but stick with your writing. It will come together.

2. CityGal says:

Wow! The fees are really cheap. Most organizations charge $200 and up. Brillian! I’ll definitely check out the IFWTWA. I like that I can create a profile. I’m used to social networking/marketing. I’m all over the place.

3. Rebecca says:

What a great interview! I agree that the fees for the IFWTWA are reasonable. Find them on Facebook and become their friend :)

I also agree that writing takes discipline. I’ve been working on other projects which has distracted me from a few of my writing projects. Then again, I get so many ideas that I run in different directions. I’m working on that — finish one, then go onto another. Oh! Well. I’ll get back on track…

4. JazzyTraveler says:

Thanx for the interview! I was not aware that IFWTWA has been around for a very long time. It’s very kool that they were formed in Paris — one of my favorite cities. Maybe I’ll drop some “change” and become a member. It couldn’t hurt.

5. First of all, thank you Trisha for interviewing me. I’m quite excited to share some of what IFWTWA is doing.

For all of you who have commented, I’d like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’m always willing to discuss further the benefits of IFWTWA.

It’s exciting to be involved with an organization moving forward. I say I was born to travel and tell the tale. I love travel and food, wine added in are a cultural geography lessons and I love to keep learning.

Don’t get discouraged if you have to have a regular job and writing has to be an advocation. If you keep with it, keep learning and keep publishing (even small pieces), you can make inroads.

One of the keys is to keep improving your writing skills. That will help you in all walks of life.

6. Trisha
    Twitter:
    says:

Hi Maralyn – thanks for stopping by!

That is very good advice – I would only add that writers should also definitely belong to organizations like yours (IFWTWA) – the benefits are great and can help turn a part-time job into a full-time career. While there is never any guarantee (much depends on the skills of the writer), why not give yourself every advantage possible?

7. Stewie_B says:

Delightful interview. I think joining the International Food, Wine, and Travel Writers Association is a splendid idea. It’s very cost effective What a great way to connect with other writers.

8. John Lamkin
    Twitter:
    says:

Great Interview. I am a member of IFWTWA and encourage any food, wine and travel writers (and those aspiring to be) to join. The benefits are countless!

9. Trisha
    Twitter:
    says:

Thanks John – Maralyn gives a good interview, doesn’t she? I agree about the benefits – it’s a great value for anyone who writes about those fields of interest.

10. Amanda says:

Inspirational interview. My thanks to both Maralyn and Trisha for making this happen.

As an aspiring writer I find myself frustrated often. It is easy for me to lose focus and become more invested in my failures and shortcomings rather than the occasional successes which are truly what I should be most attentive to.

I’ll take your advice and keep plugging away! My best wishes for you both!

11. Peter Werne says:

Its a great interview and I just want to say thanks!

12. Brendon says:

Just downloaded the transcript (better for making notes etc), will go over it properly later.

IFWTWA combines two of the best things in life, food and travel, with a way to live and enjoy them, writing. Way to go!

13. Kevin says:

writing really does take discipline, took me years to figure it out

14. jon says:

Nowadays, finding a high quality post is really difficult. I’d like also to thank my friend for giving me the URL of your blog. Hope you appreciate my short comment.
    high pr link

Trackbacks & Tweetbacks

1. [...] Writers Association, and as Co-Chairman of the Conference and Press Trips Committee for the IFWTWA. read more Here are a few suggestions from Maralyn: • Write first thing in the morning for 30 minutes or 2 [...]

Some links on this page do earn us a small amount of money if you click on them and make a purchase. Not much, maybe enough for a cup of coffee or a beer, but we would never recommend any item if we didn't believe in it's value to you. Plus, every little bit helps keep this site going and helps us continue to provide you with great information.  We appreciate your support!

Topics: