Travel Writers Proceed with Caution to Foreign Countries
He was leaving tomorrow on a 9 pm flight for China. His backpack was overloaded with travel essentials such as a few guidebooks and pocket language books. He could not wait to walk the Great Wall of China. His trip would take him to Xi’an where the Terra Cotta Warriors wait his arrival. He thought he had everything he needed for the trip. The checklist he made seemed cut and dry. He wondered to himself, “do I have everything I need for my trip?” Was something missing? Could it be his tourist visa? He’ll find out when he reaches Shanghai!
Travel writers, do you know the requirements to travel to other countries? For example, China requires American citizens to have a valid passport and visa to enter the country. If you are planning a visit to China, you better have the proper documentation. The travel article you plan to write on China may take you awhile to write it. For more information on travel requirements to China, please visit the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs.
Another country that requires a passport and visa is Brazil. It does not matter why you are traveling to Brazil, you must have the proper identification. If you do not, you will be showing contempt for the Brazilian government which is a serious offense.
Refresher List of Travel Tips
- Remember that you are a foreigner in a foreign country.
- Bring a guidebook or two.
- Carry some foreign currency with you. Most banks will be more than happy to order it for you.
- Pickup a language book for the country or countries that you plan to visit.
- Leave a copy of your itinerary with family and or friends.
- Make copies of your drivers license, ATM card, and credit cards. Leave these documents with family and or friends.
- Bring copies of you pertinent travel information with you; e.g., passport, visa, credit cards, drivers license, itinerary, and ATM card.
- Do not be a tourist! Brush up on the history and local customs of the country you plan to visit. In some countries (Middle Eastern), women are required to be covered from head to toe. If you are not comfortable with this rule or feel it’s barbaric, STAY OUT OF THE COUNTRY!
- Travel with an open-mind.
Finally, as a travel writer be mindful of the countries that you visit. Some countries require you to show your passport when traveling. A copy will not be sufficient. If you need a passport ASAP, visit RushMyPassport.com.
Did you know that the U.S. requires most foreigner travelers to have a visa to enter the country? Since 9/11, travel to the U.S. has declined and has cost “America 46 million visitors, $140 billion in lost visitor spending and $23 billion in lost tax revenue.”
Travel is an enriching and rewarding experience. You never know what you may discover about yourself when you travel to far off places. Remember, treat others as you would like to be treated. Having respect for one another goes along way. Be a conscious traveler instead of an unconscious one!